Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sample Chapters to Big Kid

The sample chapters just went out to Big Kid Agent. I clicked "send" and my heart just sank. I know it's far too early in the game to be put off by rejection, and by most standards I really haven't faced a whole lot of rejection, but I'm just feeling discouraged today. I've revamped the first chapter at least a dozen more times, and I feel like it's pretty tight, but the marked for this kind of book is tighter, and there's really nothing I can do about that. It's not that I thought people would be banging down the doors to represent me, but I didn't expect so much of the feedback to center on the fact that this is a type of book that's tough to market. In a sense, I'd be better off if they just thought my style sucked, because then I could work on that, but people are saying pretty decent things about the writing, it's the subject matter that's the plague. It's kind of like dating and being told that it's nothing personal, you're just too tall to find a boyfriend. Heavy, poorly dressed, crappy personality, hell, even butt ugly could be changed, but height is what it is. And teacher memoirs are the gangley kid at the party. Sure, people will make comments about modeling and basketball, but at the end of the day, you'd better be damn hot to pull it off. And right now, I'm not feeling hot.

No comments: