Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Positive Rejection

This is the rejection letter I just received from an agent I spoke to at a conference last month. At the conference she told me she wasn't interested at all, but I sent her my work anyway with a cover letter explaining that even though she said it's not her style, I'd love to try to change her mind. This is her letter (all emphasis hers)

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for your interest in our agency, and for taking the time to pitch to me at NHWP. I hope you had a wonderful and fruitful time at the conference.

I reviewed your sample, and I'm sorry, but we're going to pass on requesting more of your work. It was a tough decision, actually, as really like your style, but ultimately I had to be honest with my doubts about who I could sell this to. Maybe you'll have better luck with an agent who has already done something a little closer to this, but it is a crowded shelf. I'm so sorry I don't have better news.

Although I'm passing on your project, I hope the next agent will feel more drawn to your work. Keep sending it out there!

Best of luck with it. I do hope to hear of your success.

Warm regards,

***

So, that was really nice. It would have been better, of course, had she decided to take it on. But, still, it's a really good start.

No comments: